Wednesday, June 5, 2019

From the Badlands to the Minuteman Missile National Historic Sites

June 2, 2019

After leaving the Badlands, we headed west on 90 again to the Minuteman Missile NHS. At the Visitor's Center there is a film on the cold war, how it came about and the reaction to Russia's aggressive nuclear program. I remember the 'duck and cover' drills we did at school. Hindsight says that 'duck and cover' would have been entirely ineffective against a nuclear bomb. Those drills only lasted for a couple of my early years in elementary school. In the early to mid 60's I can remember a panic rush to have fall-out shelters built in front yards, we were not a household that participated in this. Personally, after seeing the films made after the nuclear bombing in Japan, I don't think I would like to be one of the few who survived a bomb.

Entrance to the Visitor Center for the Minuteman NHS

The Visitor Center

A little play on advertising






Missille under glass

No comments:

Post a Comment

Port Orford, OR

Port 6/27/2022 Phil and I drove up to Port Orford to have a look around and have lunch. We found the Port Orford Coast Guard Life Station ...